By Rhannii

Lancashire, United Kingdom Gb

Does anyone know what this plant is called?

Cotoneaster horizontalis

Cotoneaster. Beloved by bees in spring and birds in autumn!

Must have answered at the same moment! Sorry. I counted at least 30 bees on mine today, some bumble and some honey.

Hi PF this is one Of the first shrubs I ever had and I still love it, back then I thought then it was pronounced Coton Aster lol

Strangely, this is now called Cotoneaster atropurpureus. Why? I have no idea but that is what it is called in 'The Plantfinder'.

I'm not sure that's horizontalis - looks more like Cotoneaster 'Queen of Carpets' - would need to see a pic from further away to check the growth habit. If it's no more than 6-8 inches high but spreads far, its Queen of Carpets - if it has arching, long stems which are higher, its 'horizontalis'. Either way, its a Cotoneaster.

Thanks, everyone :-)
This one was shy of a foot high but had spread several feet... didn't see any bees though.

Bees are in trouble but at least you have an important foodplant there if there are any bees around. Last winter in all that snow I had a flock of 8 or 9 redwing demolishing the berries. They were literally mining under the snow for them! I like to think I'm helping to keep the birds alive by growing the shrubs they feed on.