Caerphilly, United Kingdom Gb

Is this a variety of Nigella?

I found it growing wild - most of it had delicate blue flowers, the bit I took for the garden didn't have any so I can't show for identification - I know it would have helped!

On plant Nigella

yes I think it probably is. it looks feathery enough to be.

Not sure, need to see the flower.....Should you be taking stuff from the wild anyway?

and thinking about it I doubt if it would be in flower now. were the roots yellow or white?

good point Pam24, even if it is a garden escapee.

It was in the street, on the outside of a wall of a garden full of it. The lady who owned the garden was happy for me to take it.

Thats ok then isn't it? Its just when you said wild I had visions of forest or field out in the country, there is too much taken and people are not aware of the consequences!
I would be interested to see the flower to verify the plant. :)

I wandered down to where I found it and took a good look at the flowers there - no question, it's Nigella. I'm only sure now because I've looked at so many photographs of Nigella since!

Thanks to all for your help,

Kat :)

• Nigella Love-in-a-mist (Nigella damascena)
  • Nigella 'Persian Jewels' - Aug 08 (Nigella damascena (Love-in-a-mist))
  • Nigella 'African Queen' (Nigella damascena (Love-in-a-mist))
  • For Terratoonie - Nigella Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena)