my neighbour 3 doors away has a very huge connifer type of tree which is shading most of my garden from the sun. is there anything i can do?

Does not sound like you can do anything. The law is only for evergreen/semi-evergreen hedges as part of the High Hedges section of the Anti-social Behaviour Act (2003)

There is no general legal restriction on the height of trees individually.

It may be worth inviting the neighbour around to show them your problem? If you offer to pay for its removal they may just accept the situation from your point of view.

Thats good advice Drc, You never know they might not like the tree either, but dont have the funds to get it removed..
There's a forum i visit, " gardeninglaw", its full of good information on your rights in your garden, you dont have to join (i didnt) .. Give it a try Caroline ...

If a neighbour 3 doors away asked me to cut down my tree I would not exactly be happy about it if my immediate neighbours have said nothing then I do not care what someone a few doors away would say.

I would not also go to someone I did not know's garden.

If an immediate neighbour asked then that is a different story.

Maybe the immediate neighbours arent gardeners! And maybe caroline knows the neighbour 3 doors away!..

« can i grow strawberry's in pots