By Wilbur

Soil is slightly compacted and wish to grow carrots. How do I loosen soil without using manure or garden compost?

Lot's of hard double digging then, followed by sieving the soil through a 1/4" sieve, then adding dolomite of lime, then lots of hoeing.....definitely no manure for carrots.

Hi there

How about adding some sand?
And lots of digging. There is no easy way to fix heavy soil conditions. Is it compacted because of clay? If so you will have to add composted matter.

Happy growing.

Thechicken you do not add manure when growing carrots, or parsnips come to that, you need a fine, light, sandy tilth, any manure and the root will fork. Wilbur if you have a clay soil then growing carrots is always going to be a challenge.

There is a spherical rooted carrot that will grow in clay - I can't remember what the variety was, but I remember growing it as a border plant years ago and getting useable little carrots.