Hi all, I have taken on a house with large gardens which were extremely overgrown, we have had everything ripped out and now have an area around 90ft wide x 80ft long, problem is I don't want to go to the expense of buying a new lawn as there is a good chance it will all have to be pulled up in 2 years time, any tips on growing new grass on a budget?.

Many Thanks

just use grass seed thats not too expensive. compae prices online you might be able to get a good deal.

Do I need compost?

And would it need lots of watering?

The grass seed doesn't need compost under it but it will need a nicely raked soil - that will ensure the best start to the grass and yes, it'll need a lot of watering.
In dry spells you'll have to be vigilant about the watering because that too will hamper its growth/establishment.

If a lot of traffic walking on the grass might it be less labour intensive in the long run to make large beds with less grass, planting with hardy perennials? Might seem more expensive but in the long run may be easier to maintain.