Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom Gb

Could anyone tell me what a good grass/es would be to grow in clay soil. I would like some really tall grasses, preferably with nice colour or fluffy seed tops for part of my sensory garden.

Most grasses are happy in most soils. We have Stipa tenuissima, but for a really tall one try Stipa gigantea. Have a look at the specialist website of Knoll gardens in Dorset.

Glad you asked this Laura! I'm also looking for grasses on Clay. I was thinking Stipa Gigantea too. I saw it first at Chelsea some years ago, and have always wanted to grow it as you get lovely flowers and seed heads at eye level or higher and it's a lovely colour..golden and shines in the sun. I think I shall have one of those! Yesterday I got three Unicinia Rubras at B&Q for £10. They had a good selection of carex, uncinia etc. all 3 for a tenner...worth a look! Unicinia Rubra is a smallish red/bronze evergreen grass. I love it!

« is there a small cherry blossom 6ft