North Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have a red fountain grass that I bought in a pot last year; the foliage died down (as expected) but there are no signs of new growth yet. Does anyone know if it is frost hardy. Thanks

On plant pennesetum rubrum

If it is Pennisetum Rubra, then it is tender.

Yes, extremely drought resistant but tender in cold areas.
I have pennisetum 'Karly Rose', which is a pinker version and although mine hasn't started shooting yet if i do the scratch test i can see there is green underneath the outer shafts.
This one IS a hardy one.

With your 'rubrum', lift it each autumn and keep it potted until the spring, then plant it out again - that's what another of our members does with his.

Oh. Wish I'd done that!

It's a bit too much hassle for me but that other member does it each year.
I love the rubrums and am tempted to see if i'd have the patience to fiddle about like that !!!

Mmm - my problem would be remembering, Louise! Mine's in a pot, and I haven't abandoned it yet, but can't imagine why I'm being so optimistic . . . I think the GCs will be doing quite good business this spring, when we succumb to Replacement Fever.

Oh yes, i bet they will :-/

Thanks for replies. As I had divided it I will dig up on section and see whats underneath.