The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Himachal Pradesh, India In

I hate Vampirous Amphids,so sprayed strong Nuvon on plants,alongwith small reduction of ants & amphids on plants,but my She dog OSHEE got sevely poisoned as she ate 1or 2 leaves of those plants and believe me to save her i stood on toes for 3 months.Now after end of winters bugs & ants have again come back .Beg u people to suggest strong home made cure to get quick rid of them without harming Oshee & other pets.



Naxiketa, as you're in India, I'm not too sure about what kind of ants you get, but certainly in general, ants are only present on plants because there are aphids present - the ants collect the honeydew the aphids excrete. Therefore, if you get rid of the aphids, you get rid of the ants, but any normal run of the mill insecticide should clear the aphids. You are best using a systemic insecticide because that means they'll be kept away for up to 10 days, but if you don't want to risk that, try eco friendly washing up liquid diluted in water and spray with that. Do not use ordinary washing up liquid, that's worse than using a proper insecticide, and do not use any washing up liquid neat - mix it about 1 or 2 parts to ten parts water in a sprayer. You will need to apply a solution like this every day, probably, because it only kills the aphids it touches, whereas systemic insecticide enters the sap stream of the plant and continues working for up to 10 days or so.

16 Mar, 2011


hi you could always try perfumed talcumn powder for the ants not sure about the aphids though.

16 Mar, 2011


Spinosad baits kill ants without harming pets or wildlife. Aphids will probably need frequent and thorough spraying with an organic soap solution, such as a natural dishwashing liquid, or commercial insecticidal soap. Neem oil also frequently helps with aphids, mainly as a preventative, though it will slowly reduce the population by keeping the babies from maturing.

17 Mar, 2011

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?