i have a very large mahonia in my is out of hand so huge if i cut it to just above ground level will it grow back....although tall the bottom of stems have no growth

Probably will grow back, not sure I'd take it to the ground, probably leave a few inches above ground - but wherever you cut it to, don't do it before mid March, April if you're in the North.

Are there any leaves fairly low down? You can cut immediately above a leaf joint and it will grow back strongly. If you are giving a very hard prune to an existing old shrub, I might suggest staggering the job over two years - cut half the stems one year and the other half the next. Also, give a good general feed after the pruning

The ones at Bodnant were pruned with a chain saw a few years back to about a foot high. they have grown back beautifully. As said give them a good feed after pruning.