By Vickyb

a holly-like bush with waxy long tubular red flowers in winter?

Rhododendron perhaps? difficult without a picture do you have one Vicky and welcome to GOY

By holly like, do you mean prickly like holly, or shaped like small holly leaves without prickles? Evergreen shrub? what size are the flowers if you can't provide a photograph? And is it in flower right now?
Desfontainia spinosa could well still be showing flowers now.

Pyracantha and Cotoneasters? also come to mind we really need a better description or pic please.

Could it be Campsis radicans, the trumpet vine. Photos at this site...

Though that seems to be very much an American plant. A photo really would help!

MG, a Campsis would be flowering in the summer, and completely deciduous in the winter. The description, though, doesn't match anything I'm familiar with. A picture really would be a big help, Vicky.

If the leaves are holly like in every respect, that description does fit Desfontainia spinosa, although its at the end of its flowering period now.

I agree, Desfontainea is a good candidate. The one we had at work (sadly removed for "progress") sometimes still had the odd few flowers on now.

I'd agree too, it has to be Desfontainia spinosa - looks exactly like a Holly when not in flower. Sadly ours was killed in the cold last winter :(