The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Cornwall, United Kingdom Gb

Hello, I have a plant called a platycodon and recently I repotted it using some of my own home made compost, a few days later I noticed that the top of the soil was covered in a thin film of grey/white mould. What could be the cause of this and although I've wiped it off, is it ok or should I replant it in some compost from a shop?

On plant Platycodon



Fairly normal on home made compost. Either ignore it or take of the top centimetre and replace with grit or gravel.

3 Oct, 2010


You are aware that your platycodon will disppear under the soil and reappear quite late on next spring, I hope?

3 Oct, 2010


No, I didn't! It's in a pot by the way, if that helps.. thankyou you two,( I thought it had got the lurgy!)

3 Oct, 2010


Does it have to be in a pot? It means that your pot will apear to be empty for several months!

3 Oct, 2010


this mould also appears if the compost is too wet. is the pot raised up off the ground a 1/2 " or so to help it drain? I'd pop some winter bedding in your pot too. :o)

3 Oct, 2010


Well I only bought it recently and didn't know much about it, so I didn't know if it would be ok outside during the winter, Spritz. And as I only have a small garden, with minimal flower beds, I tend to have most things in pots, and just keep upsizing them as they grow bigger. the plants not the pots.. As for the compost being wet, it might have been, cos it was outside in really heavy rain for a few days. Is winter bedding what they also call mulch? I'll do that Seaburn ...(Istill know so little!.. but there is SO MUCH to learn about gardening.. )

4 Oct, 2010


No - Sbg means plants like pansies/violas/primulas etc.

Mulch is when you pile compost around a plant's roots to help it survive, or spread it across the flowerbeds to feed the soil.

Hope that helps, Mazzie. :-))

4 Oct, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question

Related photos

  • Platycodon '  Balloon Flower '  (Platycodon grandiflorus (Balloon Flower))
  • Balloon Flower (Platycodon grandiflorus)
  • Platycodon  ...  (Platycodon grandiflorus (Balloon Flower))
  • Platycodon (Platycodon grandiflorus (Balloon Flower))


Related questions

Not found an answer?