Berkshire, United Kingdom Gb

can it withstand frost and a typical English winter in the south of the country

On plant Arbutus unedo

I note you live in Berkshire, where I know you can get some pretty cold temperatures. It all comes down to the micro climate where its planted, really. This is the hardiest variety of Arbutus - as long as its not planted on an exposed hillside facing north, north east, nor in a frost pocket, it should be fine. Best if you can provide a little protection in its first winter though. Although what I'd really like to know is what you think is a 'typical' British winter, lol - winter here varies between mild and wet and freezing cold, so you can never tell quite what we'll be getting in any one year.

• Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo) (Arbutus unedo)
  • A bee on the Arbutus, against a perfect blue sky...... (Arbutus unedo (Strawberry tree))
  • Arbutus unedo Rubra.... (Arbutus Unedo Rubra.Pink flowers instead of usual white.)
  • Arbutus Unedo Rubra....... (Arbutus Unedo Rubra.Pink flowers instead of usual white.)

how do i prune a magnolia tree »