By Heidib

Mid Glamorgan, United Kingdom Gb

ID needed please

I have no idea where this has sprung up from, I have been weeding out the pansies and found it. It looks similar to blackcurrant berries but the plant and leaves don't look like blackcurrant.... What is it please?

nightshade, very posionous so dont be tempted to eat them.

Yes - nightshade and probably the birds "donated" (ahem!) the seed......I would get rid - pronto!

Solanum nigrun specifically. Its an annual that grows in disturbed ground (allotments and cultivated sites).

Thanks all, I will get to it tomorrow. It is just a long thin strand at the moment and wasn't there last year.. so glad I asked!

Like any other plant you don't want, get rid of it.

Like any berry you don't recognise, don't eat it.

But don't worry about it. There are very few people who eat berries they can't indentify and, of that very few, the majority just get an upset tummy.

We grow lots of fruit, strawberries, apples, loganberries and I have a 3yr old who is told when he can pick from those, and even though he's pretty good in the garden, its a needless risk... so it will be another spot for alliums... I am off to pull it up now!! Thanks all

Great idea - alliums - love them...and they will colonise of my all time favourites!