Can anyone identify this critter?

North Humberside, United Kingdom Gb

Not quite a gardening question. I found this spider in my house in East Yorkshire. Does anyone know what it is? It it about three quarters of an inch long.

P1000717 P1000712

Hi Spiderman. Have you tried here?:

I have but I wasn't sure if it was there or which it was.

Where in the house? I don't think it's dark enough to be a steatoda species (black widow), just in case you're thinking on those lines. Phil J

I do not want to be an alarmist but please be careful this is not a false widow spider as these are becoming more widespread in this country due to so called global warming,
The female can give a very nasty bite

ref Daily Mail

It must be a new species, its only got 7 Sorry couldnt resist it. However i hope you put it in the garden, I was just about to go to bed, scared now.

There are a range of spiders known as false widow spiders which this belongs to ..its commonly known as the biting spider will give a painful nip but not poisonous. Steatoda nobilis becoming more widespread in UK .Common in Mediterranean often imported in to UK so being near a busy port might explain this.

Thanks to all for your answers. I contacted the British Arachnological Society with the pictures and found that it is indeed a false widow but not one that is implicated in biting humans. The name of the spider is Steatoda Bipunctata.

how to care for cocos plant »