By Maggy7

Cleveland, United Kingdom Gb

I need advice on the best time to prune these Acers that are getting too big I have been thinking I might have to remove them but it would be a big job and I dont think they would survive as I dont have the space to put them they would have to be taken away.

Bild1047 Bild1048 Bild1049

Shame, the red one looks lovely. However, if you have to, dormant season, when leaves have dropped. And sympathetically. Phil J

Thanks Phil I have been pruning slightly the last couple of years!! but they do need some drastic cutting back as they are now getting intertwined.

You will need to let your inner bonsai artist out, Maggy, because they don't always take to being stubbed back. You may have to do it in stages over the next 3-4 years.

Thanks !! I wonder if that is why the one I have/had in my raised border has withered and looks dead?? I might have cut that a bit drastic as it was growing over the back path.