By Alextb

London, England Eng

My line manager at work has recently moved in to a new flat, and would like to have flowers on her balcony.

She told me that she gets the Sun when it rises until about 9:30am, so gets little daytime Sun.

She was wondering if there are any colourful flowers that wpould tolerate these conditions.

Also, could you advise me on flowers for different times of the year.

Thanks a lot

Alex is the balcony exposed to a lot of wind? Bamboo is probably your best bet for advice.

Yes, it is exposed to wind.

Thanks I will try and contact Bamboo.

have replied by PM Alextb.

I will speak to her tomorrow to clarify. Thanks Bamboo

Is your line manager your manager after work too? ;-) Why not get her to join?

Bamboo- the flat has buildings causing shade.

Yea, how far away? 4 feet? 20 feet? Tall building 100 feet away?

Assuming the balcony hasn't got a building facing it less than 10 feet away causing deep shade, under which circumstances nothing much apart from ivy will grow well at all, then busy lizzies, lobelia, fuchsia, pansy for bedding, obviously pansies in the winter too, along with primula, polyanthus, small ivies. Perennials ajuga reptans, Tolmeia, campanula muralis, Tiarella. Small shrubs in pots, sarcococca varieties, Prunus Otto Luyken, smaller Pieris varieties (acid soil). and ferns, some of which are evergreen.