tomato plants that have a black colour on the stems

By Bensed

I have two tomato plants that have almost overnight developed a black colour on the stems, the leaves have turned yellow and have dried out in some cases. I think it might be blight.

Two questions -
Can I still eat the fruit?
Should I burn the plants now to avoid it spreading?

Update -
Sorry they are in one container and are in the open air.

Probably blight, but may not be. Did the plant get frosted? Frost can blacken stems, too. I don't know where you are in the country. The toms look ok. Collect them (even the green ones) to save them, and get rid of the plant (preferably by burning). Phil J

Thanks for the reply, I'm in Cambridgeshire and we have not had any frost yet. So it is OK to use the toms? that is the main worry as I have a young family and don't want any issues.

I shall pick all the toms tomorrow and get the plant burnt ASAP.

its blight ,mine have dun the same .tried to save the toms but as they went red they went black and bruied as well .horrid. so i have pulled them all up and they are going in the green bin. trying to save my others now . its damp conditions and time of year . google it. i read up in my tomartoe book. sorry but they have to go . not sure if u can make green chutney u will have to google that . but the warms needed to turn red allso acsellerates the blight .