Lincolnshire, United Kingdom Gb

are the berries edible for humans

On plant Viburnum opulus

They're slightly harrmful to humans - so I'd say you'd get an upset tummy at least!

I know the waxwings love them in the

Well I wouldn't eat them!

27 Aug, 2010 interesting question!

Plants for a Future gives it an edibility rating of 3 and says:

"Edible Parts: Fruit.

Fruit - raw or cooked. The fruit is up to 8.5mm in diameter but with a large seed. A sour taste, it is best cooked. The crushed fruit has an unpleasant smell. Used as a cranberry substitute in making, jellies, preserves etc.
Large quantities of the fruit can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. The fruit is of very low or zero toxicity, it only causes mild upsets when eaten unripe or in large quantities."

doesn't sound too appealing I must say!!

Um I think I'll give that a miss Ilex!

As a general rule of thumb GoYer's any plant you are not sure it is safe to eat isn't! Not any part of...

Makes you wonder why anyone would try anything that has a sour taste, and may cause vomiting etc. All in the cause of living off the countryside's delights. There are so many good things out there, why try the borderline stuff? Blackberries, sloes (admittedly in gin), hazel nuts, pignut, beech mast, crab apples, nettles, the list is endless, without giving yourself what my dad would have called the 'back door trots!
Phil J

Not many of the Caprifoliaceae have edible fruit for mammals, mostly bird dispersal. Common Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) and the Honeyberry (Lonicera caerulea) are the only ones that I know of though as Ilex says from that website which I look in on now and again, perhaps this Viburnum is edible if a tad bitter.

Sour taste...unpleasant smell...can cause vomiting and diarrhoea...

It's a bit of a tough sell isn't it!

Can't see supermarkets selling them, can you??

Oh I'm sure some marketing wizz kid could put a positive spin on them!

Not to us, now we know, MG!!! lol.

• Guelder rose  (Viburnum opulus (Guelder rose))
  • Viburnum Opulus 'Roseum'(snowball tree) (Viburnum opulus (Guelder rose))
  • Viburnum Opulus. (Viburnum opulus (Guelder rose) opulus)
  • Viburnum Opulus and Ceanothus on the hillside (Viburnum opulus (Guelder rose))