West Midlands, United Kingdom Gb

I grew this plant from seed this year, but have lost the label. Has anyone any ideas.
It is about 24" tall and smells very sweetly.

Dsc00246 Dsc00245

looks like a carnation or pink of some kind - my neck won't take turning sideways long enough to study it properly, lol

Thank you for your reply.
They are definately NOT carnations or pinks.

Flowers are absolutely typical of Dianthus varieties - if you don't think it's that, no idea what else it might be.

It looks like Saponaria officinalis [soapwort/ bouncing bet] but I could be wrong.

Yes, the foliage looks like Saponaria officinalis too. More familiar with the single flowered form.

One experiment you could perform is take a single leaf. Wet it under the tap and rub it vigorously between your hands. It should make a green foam that cleans your hands beautifully if it is soapwort. Tried this years ago and it really does work.

my girls often did this in warm water. soeties get foam usually water just feels 'slimy/soapy'. Showed this to the local priary school too when they were doing the vikings.

Thanks to all the people who answered my question.
I will try the leaf 'rub' and see if it works.
I will post it on here what the out-come is.

Look forward to it Isabelarosa :-)

You have to rub vigorously though. At first you think it isn't going to work then foam! Keep trickling a little water every now and again at first.

« when should I plant tulip bulbs