What is this?

By Almilne

Angus, United Kingdom Gb

A friend gave me a plant which grows wild in her garden. It has tallish stems, smooth but with long spikes like a gooseberry, leaves like a gooseberry but with the lobes more rounded, and a fruit which looks like and tastes like a raspberry. Can you tell me what this is? A Milne. I can,t send a picture of the fruit. There was only 1 berry and I ate it! It was not elongated.

P1000982 P1000983 P1000984

Could be a Tayberry - a photo would really help i.d.

Photos attached. I can't send picture of the fruit - there was only 1 berry on the plant and I ate it! It was not elongated like the tayberries I've seen.

you can get red dessert gooseberries. they are quite sweet too. [but dont look like a raspberry !!]

Looking at the leaves this is definitely not related to the raspberry. I think SBG is correct a red gooseberry :-)

Could be a Worcesterberry also.

Thanks, everyone. I may come back to you next year when (hopefully) there will be more fruit.

« how do i gravel my garden