The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

United Kingdom Gb

is pieris japonica debutante poisonous and hence should not be planted near children's play area?

On plant Pieris japonica



Pieris is toxic if eaten - but an awful lot of plants and shrubs are, as well - far too many to list here.

My feeling is that children need to be educated not to touch or eat any plants or berries in a garden. If they're very young children, they wouldn't be out there without adults anyway, would they?

4 Aug, 2010


Agree with Spritz - its an important part of children's education to not eat or chew leaves of plants - over 50% of common plants grown here are toxic to some degree if ingested. That said, having had kids myself, I have to say I never once saw them attempt to eat leaves or stems - berries yes, leaves no.

4 Aug, 2010


As a child, I learned very early that oleanders were "icky", and cacti were "poky". I would give your kids credit for a learning curve, supervise them when they are very small, and save the serious worry for other hazards.

4 Aug, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question

Related photos

  • Pieris flowers...... (Pieris japonica Debutante)
  •  Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver' (Pieris japonica (Lily of the valley bush))
  • Pieris in the sun..... (Pieris japonica Debutante)
  • Pieris Japonica (Lily of the Valley Bush) (Pieris japonica (Lily of the valley bush))

Related products


Related questions

Not found an answer?