Fish Tail Palm

RW2000

By Rw2000

I bought a fish tail palm. I repotted it because I didn't like the plastic pot it was in. Its in a room next to patio doors so gets plenty of light. I'm trying not to water it too much as the instructions said to water sparingly. It looks like its dying now. It has quite a few brown or yellow leaves, the remaining green ones are starting to go a bit yellow. I've no idea what to do with it.

Answers

Oh, my dear, it will grow back. I had many fishtail palms in Darwin in my garden, they are a tropical palm. Some got white ants in them or just blew over or had been cut off about 30 cm above the base and all grew back! Go to this website and read about it and any other palm. Very interesting. I love palms and would hate to see your die. It probably has to accustom to your new pot. Palms do have a "dormant" dry season time as well, when they look as if dying, but from the centre they will grown new leaves in spring.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Caryota/rumphiana.html