By Runner

I have pampas grass in my garden which is out of control. Is there any way I could get rid this. I have been told that it is just about impossible to get rid of it.

It is possible to dig it out, I've done it, but it takes grit, determination, strength, elbow grease and some hours. Why not keep it and treat it properly by hacking it right back as far as possible, cutting down any flowered stems at the base, then raking out the middle of the plant - all this to be done in March every year. That way, you have a much better behaved plant.

We have a friend who simply burns his down

Alright in the wilds of Scotland, MG, but wouldn't be appreciated and would, in fact, be illegal down here, lol!

Thanks for reply. Will try hacking it out. Thanks once again.

We strimmed ours to the ground and then employed a hardy youth with a pick axe type thing to "hack" it out - took him 2 hours!!!!!

I'd heard, that in the 70's a pampus grass in the front garden means you are swingers!!!!

Lynn and Steve. Thanks for info. Bit too old to be swingers. Wish I had known this back in the 70's.

Blimey, I didn't know that, I had one in my front garden in the eighties - come to think of it, might explain a few things lol!