By Fairlie

Lanarkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hi just got some strawberry plants ,would they be better in a propigator or out in the open

I find they do wonderful in a rich soil with lots of moisture and sun. They will send out runners which will root and propagate new plants. A given plant will produce for only about two years. So, every two years clear out the old plants in a path about 12 inches wide and let them fill in with new plants.

Definitely out in the open ground, they are prone to mildew and need air around them.

Thanks for the info.i plan to have them in pots ,1 per pot do you think ?
Fairlie G.

I always grow mine in a huge pot and every year keep the small plantlets which come from the runners for next year.s crop - been doing this for some time now and still get lovely strawbs .... Val

Pots or hanging baskets are fine for strawberries but don't forget to water regularly.
Once you have fruit showing, feed with tomato feed about once a week until the end of the season.

« I'm looking for rose named Gertrude ??