plants on a hot wall

i am having trouble with plants next to a wall. our landscape plan (phoenix desert) called for indian hawthorne which is virtually indestructable, but they all died. I replanted, checked water & they all died again!! i would like suggestions on what else to put on a hot wall, or possibly what i am doing wrong to the hawthorne? thx

Answers

I think the wall reflects the sun so much that your plants have been sunburned. This can easily happen. I don't know the plant, but unless Ivy on a shady side, plants usually don't like living against walls in hot climates. I suppose you live in an extreme zone where nights are cold and days are hot? Good luck. What is dead, is dead....perhaps did them up and see if there is still some life in the roots, then replant them in a more open position, after cutting them back completely.