Weeping willow tree - too big?

essex, United Kingdom Gb

We have moved into a house that has a lovely small ( 6ft) tree in the front garden only about 5- 6ft from house.
The day we moved in the previous owners told us it was a weeping willow.
Alarm bells have rung as know they can cause severe damage-there are no pipes near the tree but can they take moisture from the house walls? I am now paranoid about this .If it was kept pruned would this prevent the roots spreading and so damage? It has become a worry as I have noticed some of the bricks in house wall have cracks -but there are alot of settlement cracks in the house anyway.It is a lovely tree and dont want to remove unless I have too.

On plant Salix

I think that it would be a good idea to dig this tree whilst smallout in the winter and spade a large area around the root system move it on to a sack to transport it, then prepare the ground and dig a large hole to replace the tree much further away from the house. Make sure that it is well watered in then water for a few weeks to make sure that the roots settle down.

I would get it out before too long (say this autumn). Weeping willows get very large are not really suitable for a small garden. Why not offer it to the local council for one of their parks?

I think I prefer Andrewr's answer too. Get rid of it. They grow from cuttings and we've had quite a few on the farm, all along creeks. They do not really belong in a home garden, unless below somewhere if you have a sloping block and far from the home. They go dormant in winter and in summer they provide quite a lot of shade, so only shady plants would grow underneath. I would certainly offer it to a park or farm. Put a notice up in your local P.O. or shop now and that will give you plenty of time to get someone interested in your tree.

• Furry Young Willow Catkins (2) (Salix (Flat Stemmed))
  • YAY!!! Pussy Willows (Salix discolor (Pussy Willow))
  • catkin (Salix caprea 'Kilmarnock')
  • Salix Caprea "Pendula" (pussy willow) (salix caprea pendula)

self or do they need help »