By Len

I have a arbutus unedo in my garden and it seems to be shedding its leaves and becoming very straggly and the fruits are small compared to the first year I bought it.Does anyone know if there is a reason for this and is there some way to feed the shrub.

It belongs to the Ericaceae plant family and like all members of this family, it can struggle if it gets too dry at the roots which are very fine indeed. There is also the fact that this is the time of year when most evergreen trees and shrubs lose old leaves so it could be this also or even a combination.

Give it a good thick mulch of composted bark or ericaceous compost around the roots (root ball area) and make sure that if it is dry to give it a really good soak. You can feed with a propitiatory Ericaceous feed, several out there such as Miracle Gro's Ericaceous feed.

Thank you I will try your suggestions and let you know if there is any improvement.