By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have planted some Rubus tricolour (Chinese Bramble) in my woodland garden as ground cover, but when my daughter visited yesterday, she was adamant that it was a thug and would spread via underground roots and become a real pest. Can you folks confirm whether she was right or not?

On plant Rubus

Well the RHS says it spreads indefinitely so sounds like a thug to me. Depends really if you can keep it under control or not.

It quite shallow rooting and the edges can be chopped with a spade and the extensions beyond easily pulled up (if your soil is light).

I have to say, what attractiveness there is in this plant is well.....lets say subtle! Lol

Thanks for your responses Moon grower and Fractal - I think it will probably be more trouble than it's worth, I'll look for something more attractive and user friendly!

You're welcome Bernard :-)

I'm sure you will find something nicer to plant Bernard

• Raspberries Ripening 06.08 (Rubus idaeus)
  • Rubus spectabilis (Rubus spectabile)
  • Still finding some produce in the garden... (Rubus fruticosus (Blackberry))
  • Rubus arcticus: Nagoonberry (Rubus arcticus)

thanks »