I have a lovely geum borisii, potted it up and it has grown like a mad thing. Trouble is it has stopped flowering but grown loads and loads of large leaves. What can I do to encourage more flowers? I have given it a fee of Miracle Gro and wonder if I should be using a seaweed feed instead? Many thanks.

On plant Geum

Geum borisii is usually in flower in summer and autumn, not in late spring, so I'm a bit confused as to why yours had flowers earlier. Lots of leafy growth like that can be attributed to high nitrogen, so stop feeding it. You could try half strength tomato food though, just a shot or two over a couple of weeks.

Er, our Geum borisii begins flowering in May and has a few flowers on until September.
Agree, it sounds as if it is just too well fed for it to need to flower.

Oh well, okay then Owdboggy - I got that from the RHS Encyclopaedia, so much for that then, lol!

Mine flowered in May and has now stopped I put it down to being a new plant and forced? But I did feed it to?

• Orange Geum Mrs Bradshaw? (Geum)
  • Geum Rivale 'Leonard's Variety' (Geum rivale (Bach-Nelkenwurz))
  • Geum 'Princess Juliana' (Geum 'Princess Juliana')
  • Geum 'Lemon Drops' (Geum)