Kent, United Kingdom Gb

Can anyone identify these little blighters that are munching there way through one of my well established shrubs. Also are the wooly looking things on the underside of the leaves on the same shrub connected with he caterpillars. The caterpillars are about 6-8mm long and 1-2mm across. I hope I've managed to include the photos for you.

Dscn3881 Dscn3882

I suggest you type caterpillar identification into Google and play around with it until you think you have found it. I would suspect the woolly thingies are sheltering future leaf munchers in their cocoons. That reminds me I have some tent caterpillars on one of my apple trees......must go and see to it. You could use a suitable systemic insecticide before they munch the shrub to bits!

try googling wooly aphids?

the white wooly things are an aphid and not linked to the catterpillar/grub. spray with a systemic insecticide to kill off both.

When you google wooly aphids also check out ladybird grubs so that you know what they look like so that you don't accidentally exterminate them by mistake as they eat aphids.

My thanks to everyone for their comments regarding my shrub munchers.
ALSO my thanks to Moon grower in scotland last month regarding frost damaged potato tops. They have survived.

• strange visitor
  • Caterpiller of the Pale Tussock Moth.
  • Pic of Hickory Horned Devil for Bonkers and Toto
  • For Toto - monster caterpillar 2