The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

By Robby

Lanarkshire, United Kingdom Gb

Are the sambucas nigra berries or flowers poisonous to dogs?



Sambucus nigra is elderberry. The flowers are used in elderflower cordial and I once made "elderflower champagne" which wasn't great, but not poisonously so. I read that unripe berries are mildly poisonous but the ripe ones are traditionally made into wine, cordials and can be added to jams, chutneys and other preserves, from which I deduce that they're not that delicious on their own.

I think it unlikely that your dog would eat them, but don't let him / her chew the branches as the source quoted above says that the leaves and bark are poisonous.

4 Jun, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?