Powys, Wales Wal

Osmanthus....all leaves have dropped off!!

Does anyone know what may have caused this? I noticed odd leaves were falling off, but then I came home and found it like this. :o(
I took it out of the pot expecting to find the dreaded Vine Weevil grubs, but there were none. I have scraped the stems and they are green. I have re-potted it in fresh compost.
Any ideas anyone?

On plant Osmanthus heterophyllus

P1060229 P1060228

i suspect at some point it has got too dry. and this will manifest itself several weeks later.

...that's a possibility SBG, may-be I didn't water as much as should have during the hot spell we had. I hadn't related it to that as it was a while thank you! I'll leave it a while and hope for new growth.

And hopefully you put it in a larger pot, too.

31 May, 2010,no I didn't Bamboo....must get one now you have said that. :o))

The compost in the pictures looks very dry right now. Be sure to water thoroughly before transplanting.

Thanks Tug......I will. It has had a good soaking from the 24 hours of rain we have had here too!

Ah, Pottygardener! That tells me that when its wet or cold or raining, you don't check if the tub needs watering or not - bear in mind that most of the rain doesn't get into a tub because the foliage of the plant keeps it out - I still have to water all the pots on my balcony even if its chucking it down, except in the winter.

When caring for my pots, I always feel silly standing out in the rain, watering, but I've learned that I regret it if I don't!

...I clearly need to be more diligent in my watering.... :o)

• New Osmanthus for golden border. (Osmanthus heterophyllus 'tricolor')
  • Osmanthus...... (Osmanthus heterophyllus (Chinese Holly))
  • Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Goshiki' (Osmanthus heterophyllus (Chinese Holly))
  • 37.  Osmanthus Heterophyllus (Osmanthus heterophyllus (Chinese Holly))