By Pamg

east midlands, United Kingdom Gb

sea buckthorn, anyone grown it at all, southfacing aspect almost on beach, windy site with very poor sandy soil, but can it be kept under 3 feet high and can it look attractive as a centrepiece of a small bed ?

I wouldn't choose it for that purpose, I'm afraid - its a very strong growing shrub, bit of an untidy grower and wouldn't make a good specimen shrub for the centre of a bed -makes a very good hedge though, particularly by the coast.

any ideas Bamboo what you would put there please

You know, I had a feeling you'd ask me that, and I've been racking my brains - one obvious one is Brachyglottis (syn Senecio 'Sunshine') but it does tend to make a rather rounded shape - responds well to clipping so you can keep it the size you want. If you wanted something taller, Tamarix would do well.

thanks Bamboo we need to keep it short --Senecio is a good idea,-- reading about the buckthorn it seems its the becoming a 'superfood'! like pomegranite and gogi berries whatever next thanks for your advice, the last thing we planted more or less blew away :)

Highest vitamin C content of anything on the planet, buckthorn berries - but what a performance to prepare... I just open the vitamin C tablet bottle and take one, lol

:o) x x