By Johnmo

my ice plant was growing well last year but this year it looks like a pile of dead twigs,is this normal for fhis time of year or have i lost them

On plant Lampranthus spectabilis

It doesn't like low temperatures, sadly - so I think you may well have lost it. John. Sorry.

Depending on where you garden, you may have better luck with one of the hardy Delospermas, such as D. cooperi.

mine lived in my garden for ten years but the last two winters have all but wiped them out...;-(

Funny, ice plant in London means Sedum spectabilis, not Lampranthus as mentioned above.

Yes, I'd have said that too, Bamboo.

And if it is Sedum, then it will look like a pile of dead sticks (but with new rosettes of growth at the base). So which is it, Johnmo?

many f my customers refere to lampranthus as ice plant...i think its a strange name as it hates the frost and ice....

Many members of the Aizoaceae, including Lampranthus, are called ice plants. Some species' leaves are covered in little sparkly blisters, which look like a coating of ice crystals. A few species come from high altitudes in the mountains of South Africa, and are fairly frost hardy, but most are better suited to Mediterranean or subtropical climates. Many have become part of the beach environments wherever they have been introduced. I have never heard of sedum species being called ice plant where I live.

It's quite common for Sedum spectabile to be called that here, Tugbrethil. That just goes to show how important the latin name is!

• Orange lampranthus (Lampranthus spectabilis (Trailing Ice Plant))
  • Succulent flowering inside.... (Lampranthus spectabilis (Trailing Ice Plant))
  • Lampranthus (Lampranthus spectabilis (Trailing Ice Plant))
  • Lampranthus Tresco Orange... (Lampranthus spectabilis (Trailing Ice Plant))