By Bobo

London, United Kingdom Gb

Have been looking at what to put in a hedge along the front of my house for ages.....the house is a cottagey terrace and has a picket fence at the front. At the moment I'm thinking to put put copper beech mixed with something else like forsythia (do they look ok together?) or even to make a native hedge mix with dog rose and hawthorn. Anyone done anything like these? Any comments advice would be welcome. Soil is clay and the site has part sun and shade.Thanks

Depends how big your garden is and how long the border you want to plant is, too - the hedge mix you describe will take up a fair bit of room from front to back. Beech is best planted alone - its a very greedy plant and won't tolerate much else nearby.

The nicest cottage garden hedges I've seen were a) hardy fuschia dainty red flowers from spring to late autumn. b) Forsythia when clipped is a mass of yellow flowers in spring followed by pale green leaves both look good with picket fencing - in my view :o))

many shrub rose makin good hedge but chossin one htat repeet flower is best