Hertfordshire, United Kingdom Gb

today i decided to do away with my day lillys, after nearly breaking my steel fork on the roots i have given up, any tips welcome. grandadpic

My guess is that they ground is frozen as Day Lily roots are not difficult to break normally.

9 Dec, 2012

ok thanks for that

10 Dec, 2012

They can be difficult to dig out though, so much easier to wait until the soil is wet or damp rather than frozen. The last clump I dug out had roots that went down to 18 inches, and it took me around an hour to get it all out, and that was in light, sandy soil.

10 Dec, 2012

Mine are in a large plastic planter. They can stay there.
Ha ha.

10 Dec, 2012

But why do away with them? We have major problems with Hemerocallis gall mite and we are gradually replacing the affected ones with varieties which are less likely to get them. But, we would not want to be without them.

10 Dec, 2012

hi flag.i have finally got them out, albeit with some difficulty.the reason for removing them was because they had taken over and were spreading like mad, also most of them were coming up blind. cheers anyway.grandadpic

10 Dec, 2012

You must have the wrong type! Are they the double orange ones? They run around terribly! Maybe try the clump forming ones instead. My favourite is H. 'Frans Hals', also 'Corky' and 'Golden Chimes'.

11 Dec, 2012

thanks for that ,food for thought. grandadpic

12 Dec, 2012