Leonotis Leonorus help

can anybody help?
I have bought a leonotis leonorus but can't find advice as to when and how to prune it.
Thanks very much.

Firstly, you do know that it's not hardy, don't you? It will need protection in the winter - indoors, probably, unless you are in a very mild area with no frost.

My RHS book says to prune off the flowered shoots back to 1" of the new minimal, really. This should be done in early - mid spring.

I hope this helps.

The orange flowers when dried are mixed with tobacco and smoked by native south african tribes for their hallucinogenic properties! The flowers contain more of the stuff than the leaves.

Just thought I would add that interesting fact. I'm sure I saw someone selling packets of dried flowers on ebay too once!

Oooh-err. Fractal!! ;-O

Not illegal it would seem?

OK - probably because it's not normally grown in the UK, do you think?

Quite probably. Mixed views on internet. Illegal in the states, legal in uk as classed as merely a herb and not related to cannabis. I just wonder about its legality. Interesting if it is?

More hits if you search Wild Dagga.

This site give good info and says that it IS legal in the states. very confusing?

O heck damb big ques at the garden center tomorrow+++

Hi Spritzhenry, thanks for the advice re: pruning. I'll follow your instructions and hopefully will have a lovely plant next year.
- Not planning to do any smoking though ;-)

You're welcome! Good luck with it!

It's utterly and completely confusing, Fractal! Luckily, I haven't got any - and I don't intend to grow this plant! LOL.