Unknown flower!

West Midlands, United Kingdom Gb

Taken yesterday in Powys Gardens. Tall possibly tender perennial, certainly a 'bedder' as it was in their south facing hot border.

dont know its name but i have seen it before. it is stunning.

Hmmmm! Looks like a Salvia possibly, or other type of Lamiaceae genus.

I can see the shrubby tobacco Nicotiana glauca in the background so this may well be (like that plant) a designated area of tender plants.

I will look into it.

So could it be Salvia scarlet pineapple?

Unfortunately, doesn't look quite right Drc. The leaves of this run up through the flowers and that white felt on the back of the foliage isn't on the Pineapple Sage.

Still can't find anything quite like it.

I have emailed the National Trust with a direct link to this plants image in the hope that they will contact Peter Hall (head gardener at Powis) and forward it on. I would love to know what this plant is too.

Never thought of doing that Fractal. We will no doubt be going back to Powys before it closes for the Winter, so I will have another look for a label. They are very good there at labelling things, but we could not see one for this plant.

Hi Ob, I have had an email back from an Adrian Lovett.....

Dear Steve

The plant you saw is Colquhounia coccinea a member of the Lamiaceae family.

Best Wishes

Adrian Lovatt
Head Gardener
Powis Castle Gardens
t Yr Ymddiriedolaeth Genedlaethol/The National Trust
SY21 8RF

Tel: 01938-552952

Ta muchly. At least we were in the right area if not exactly there. Funny I was just reading through a book on Mints which are in the same family and read about this plant, but it had no picture so I did not associate the two.