Anyone identify self-set plant with prickly seeds, please.

By Dicky_m

Worcestershire (born Nothumberland), United Kingdom Gb

Seeds itself every year among vegetables.

This is Brugmansia - all parts are poisonous. I never realised this plant popped up so readily - you must be the sixth person who's put up a similar question.

Must be the self seed plant of the year

It is actually a Datura which self-seeds readily unlike Brugmansias which are not self-fertile like Daturas.

There are two ways to distinguish Brugmansias from Daturas .... 1) Brug flowers look down (Angel's Trumpets) and Dat flowers look up (Devil's Trumpets) would think it would be reverse, and 2) Brug seeds are in long pods and Dat seeds are in prickly pods, ie, common name of Prickly Pear.

I am wondering if Datura seeds are now in bird-seed as is Cannabis as it does seem to be popping up everywhere.

....or an alien triffid invading!!!!

oh my god canabis, we could get arrested for drug growing and not know lol

I think unless you convert your loft and have rows and rows of pots of the stuff, under lights and heat lamps you need not worry Sanbaz lol

thanx aster lol

Oh dear,didn't mean to sound so knowledgeable, only what I've seen on TV-honest :)))

I lived in a top floor flat once and one Saturday, the drug squad (about 12 of them) came round and questioned us closely about the ONE cannabis plant growing in a pot in the front garden - it belonged to the guy in the bottom flat and was only about 6 inches high. Reckon it must have been a quiet and boring day for them, talk about overkill.

lol aster, i believe you,,, really

The Cannabis from Bird seed is not the smokeable type. but Robin is laughing a lot lately.

I believe that's right, they're just ordinary hemp seeds, apparently:-(