By Usernut

scotland, United Kingdom Gb

these long stems with bud things are growing up out of my cineraria, are they about to flower? or are they seed pods?

If it hasn't flowered already, that's what these are - seed pods only form where flowers once were

I thought these flowered in their second year, I was going to cut them off but thought i,d better check,
just as well I did.

I'd cut 'em off anyway, don't like the flowers, boring old yellow spidery daisies - the foliage is much more interesting! But that's just me...

I bought them for the foliage but will let these ones flower and try to collect the seeds.

dont forget you can take cuttings from them and overwinter them too. The flowers are very bright yeloow and daisy form. I'm not keen on them but they add a nice splash of colour.

I,m going to overwinter 2 of these, but I tried rooting a cutting (a leaf) in rainwater but it never worked. not really sure how to take a cutting off these.

you need a young stem about 4-6" long and trim it of and remove the lower leaves. dip in rooting powder and place into compost. water and hopefully they will root. a leaf wont root so that is why you had no luck.

thanks, i,ll give it a try.