Cottage garden plants

By Junie

Essex, United Kingdom Gb

You may have guessed that I have recently moved and have almost completely cleared the overgrown garden. I have made a framework of shrubs, mainly evergreen, but have loads of lovely gaps to fill. I have just been to the Garden Centre, and they have newly-in loads of gorgeous herbaceous stuff, such as heucheras, geum etc.etc. My question is whether it is better to plant these now to over-winter, or am I being impatient. I originally intended to leave all that sort of stuff till next spring. Your opinions would be most appreciated.

Personally I'd wait until spring as you may find some gorgeous bulbs poking through. but if you cant wait now is a good a time as any as the soil will be warm.

Now is a very good time to plant - gives them a chance to form a good root system over the winter. BUT, Seaburn has a good point about not knowing if there are any hidden delights waiting to appear, if you've not lived there for a full year.

thanks everyone, I have been here 3 years, only just got round to the garden, so am pretty sure I have found everything worth saving (such as the cotoneaster I thought was a quince!). I am now going to have a lovely time filling some gaps.

oh in that case plant away. [lucky lucky you] remember to keep records if you can it is so much easier in the years to come to know what is what. :o)