a disaster in the polytunnel

By Ricky

antrim, United Kingdom Gb

i have been growing tomatoes for over 30 years but this year over 200 plants of which i usually give away my fruit to family and friends a total disaster BLIGHT has wiped out the lot i think about using dithane every year but have never needed to well its to late i live near ballymena co antrim is it because im so far north blight took no prisoners i wonder is there such thing as blight resistant tomato seed im on my chin strap

Is your tunnel well ventilated, Ricky. Tunnels are great for growing all sorts of things (wish I had one) but the air in them does get very humid. In my locality we have had warm and wet weather during July but it has also been very windy. I have not heard of anyone round here suffering from the blight that seems to have stricken so many GoYers.

Hi Ricky there is at least one blight resistant tomato. Ferline (from Thompson & Morgan) Garden Barter states 'In recent trials Ferline has shown impressive blight tolerance in a garden situation. Also resistant to
fusarium and verticillium wilt.' So good luck for next year!

It will pay to move your polytunnel to another part of your garden. Don't plant tomatoes/potatoes in the same place for 4 years.

Agree Dr B