can anyone identify this rose variety please

By Chunk

I found this rose growing wild, it has petals like feathers and the rest is just like any ordinary dog rose. Can anyone tell me its correct name?

To my knowledge, there is no rose, wild or otherwise, that has this kind of flower, the closest would be a frilled edge, like Grootendorst. Are you certain the flowers in the picture were actually growing off the stem of the rose - they certainly look as if they are from the picture. When you say "the rest is like a dog rose", do you mean other flowers, or are you referring to the leaves and stems?

The flower is on what looks like the leaves and stem of a dog rose.I've never seen anything like this before. The petals of the flower look exactly like feathers, I wish I'd taken some better pictures too.

Pity you didn't take a lump or a cutting - if those really are the flowers, it might be worth a mint!

I am able to take a cutting. I was thinking exactly that myself. (-:

the reddish mass is a plant gall commonly called a 'robins pincushion'. it is a response to an insect pest, cant remember which one.
next season it wont even be there.

so sorry not a new rose flower at all.

Diplolepis rosea a parasitic wasp according to hubby. the grubs cause the plant wound response.

Thank you very much for your responses.

Oh, how disappointing:-(