Lincolnshire, United Kingdom Gb

Hello I would really like a standard shrub by my front door and can't decide between a Lauris Nobilis or a red robin photina. What would be the most hardy as it will be exposed to bright sunlight and elements?

Is this going to be in a pot?

Yes it will be :0)

Thanks, these are both very big shrubs? Perhaps the Photinia would have more winter interest. But I think they would become too big for pots and they would not be stable? The Photinia could be kept pruned but then you would lose a lot of its appeal? But lets see what the others think?

Can you recommend any other standard evergreen I got use instead?

Standard evergreens in pots? Boxus cones and Bay comes to mind for the ht you require but it does need some protection. Cordylines perhaps?

Ok thank you :0)

I've pruned evergreen cotoneaster's into standards with great success.

Here's an example from Googling but the ones i've done were totally spherical but I don't have any photos of them

There are lots of other ideas here

I have a standard Viburnum tinus which has been in a large pot for several years without any problem. Evergreen with small white flowers, just needs a light prune in late spring when the flowers are finished to keep it tidy. I used John Innes No 3 compost when I potted it and I give it a feed a couple of times a year.

Thanks everyone I will have a look at these suggestions :0))

I grew Euonymous 'Emerald and Gold' from a cutting into a standard, took a long time, mind you! But it's the perfect size and never sprouts from low down or outgrows it's space. How about a standard Rosemary, too?

Went for a standard euonymous in the end ! Thanks for all your help x