By Johnnyb

I have a Willow tree that has loads of long thin branches from the broken trunk. I would like to cut some of these off and transplant them in the paddock area which runs alongside a brook. Can I just cut off the branch an stick it straight into the ground? If not how should I do it and at what time of year do I need to transplant them.

Yes, now, where you want them to grow, with a couple of extras in case they do not strike. Willows have been even known to root when put in upside down.

Yes most definitely. Many,many years ago the Wild Fowl Trust at Slimbridge made a fence alongside one of their walkways with willow whips and every one rooted and is now a very handsome hedge. It is cut every year just like a normal hedge.

I,ve known people use them for pea sticks...and been amazed when the end up with a hedge. :0)

You can even root small pieces in water. You can watch them then and choose the strongest.

i saw some planted like that and shaped into a small shelter for the summer and it looked very nice

That sounds encouraging. Thanks everyone for the info.