Quick question

By Reem777

Northanmptonshire, United Kingdom Gb

I have a Cytisus 'Boskoop Ruby'. It flowered beautifully in the spring and has now produced what I assume is a seed pod?

Can I plant it? should I cut the seeds out or plant as the whole pod?

let the pod dry out - when it's brown and a bit crispy, pop it open and take the seeds out. You can either plant this year (in pots) or wait till next spring; if you do it this year, put somewhere sheltered for the winter. there's no guarantee the flowers will be the same though!

I've just looked this up in the RHS book. It says to propagate with cuttings, but you can grow the variety called C.battandieri from seed. I would think you would need to leave the pod on the plant until it is dry, & then take the seeds out. The RHS book says hard pruning rarely succeeds but I cut loads off mine after flowering last year & it more than doubled in size & was covered in flowers this year. I have no idea what variety it is - it was a weedy little plant when I arrived here, with no label.

Thanks for the help. Am now going to be impatiently waiting for it to dry out!!