Garage door bed nearly done.
After a hard night of digging (last post) work had stalled out for a few days. We went to the garden center and picked up a Lilac and 2 Lace Cap Hydrangeas.
The bed looking even better than it was originally
Yesterday I was out in the yard early as it was one of the few nice days we’ve had lately. It was so hot I was working with my shirt off. Poor neighbors.
I turned all the topsoil over, removing the big rocks, while mixing in a large amount of peat and compost. I placed the rocks where I liked them, then mixed in some Lime in the far space to make one of the lace caps pink. I gave it a final mulch with some sea-soil compost.
I was originally going to place a lilac in the middle but I figured that since it would grow to 12 feet it would over power the two hydrangeas which both grow to 4-6 feet. I instead decided to place my Christmas cheer rhododendron in the middle as it’s supposed to top out at 4-5 feet so I thought that would make a nice pairing.
I’m going to finalize it by putting down some landscape fabric and filling in the outer foot with either white landscape rock, or bark chips. I’m then going to place some ground cover plants in around the outside of the rocks.
Some small ground cover and some crocus’ will make this nice for next spring
- 25 Jul, 2011
- 2 likes
Previous post: Hard work after work and a late night suprize
Next post: The Supremes