As I promised, I had a busy weekend. I have removed all the Colocasias and Xanthosomas from the pond now and these are sat around the pond perimeter drying out – or at least they were until the day of drizzle we had here all day today lol.
Never mind I’ll leave them out for one more day then get them all under cover for Wednesday when we have a day of heavy rain forecast.
I also collected some old sheets of reinforced galss from my brother’s house (the stuff with wire in it) that was his old roof between house and garage before he replaced it with polycarbonate. This glass consists of 5 sheets each 6 feet long by 15 inches wide in size. So I will construct a frame for this glass and it will be put on the front of the gazebo at the end of the garden as it faces south. I also have some old glass shower screens that I will put along the remaining exposed west side of the corner gazebo (the other two sides being fence panels).
I hope to get the framework materials this week and construction can begin weather permitting next weekend. Pictures will follow for scrutiny.
I got the framework all cut last weekend and then realised better measure the glass. Just as well as the five 15″ × 6ft panels are actually four 15 and a 1/4 inch and one is only 14 and 3/4 inches. Hence had to recut the framework accordingly – not good!
Then this weekend the painting began, ie paint all the bits prior to asembly with green preservative, then assembly today. Only 3 can be used at the mo as have put polycarbonate roofing on the gazebo, which has lowered the headroom to less than 6 foot on the right side, that’s to be sorted over the next week as need to be sorting another winter home for my other plants by next weekend. Photos are being taken so will all be put on here in due course.
One awful bit of news came from a place I get plants from, emailed to say snow forecast in south-east last week of October!!
So I hope we don’t have it this far west, but need to be done just in case
- 27 Sep, 2010
- 2 likes
Previous post: Overwintering
Next post: The overwintering gazebo