Northumberland, United Kingdom Gb

Anyone suffering from something. (May be rats)digging up bulbs in garden,!

Answers

Squirrels are the common culprits for bulb digging, I've given up with crocus because of this

squirrels are the most likely unless you know there are badgers in the area.

I protect bulbs by placing some chicken wire over the bulbs but 2" of soil over them.

How strange! I never had an issue with the squirrels. Could it be due to the plentiful oaks and nut bearing trees in my area? They have no need to dig up tulip bulbs? I see the occasional turf war break out among the squirrels. They can be quite nasty and sometimes I'll find a dead squirrel that has fallen - - or was he thrown out or the tree?

I haven't seen any squirrels for ages but still have the odd bulb dug up, So far this year a crocus and a tulip so that's getting off lightly!

My Muscari have been grazed yet again, I am hoping the tulips in neighbouring beds will be left alone!

We only ever see one squirrel and only at this time of year, from when the hazel nuts appear until it doesn't need the bird feeders any longer. However I have lost oodles of bulbs, Crocus, Grape Hyacinth, mini Daffs., etc. I always put this down to Voles, which we also have oodles of! Blackbirds will pull up shoots, thus pulling up the bulbs too and rabbits dig up just about anything - at the moment it's the over-wintering forget-me-nots, dug up and roots eaten.