Surrey, United Kingdom Gb

When should I spray against Aquilegia mite? They are growing at the moment when they should really be dormant.

Answers

well, you live and learn ... I didnt know they could get spider mite outside of the greenhouse , I will keep a eye on this thread ..

Gg

21 Dec, 2015

Would have to be living in a warm dry part of Britain to get spider mite outside of the glasshouse.
If aphids are meant, then spray whenever you see them, if you spray at all. No ladybirds or bees around at the moment so not as harmful a time as Spring.

21 Dec, 2015

What the devil's aquilegia mite then? Plants in greenhouses or in doors can get red spider mite, rare in most parts of the UK for it to occur on aquilegias outdoors. The only other thing (apart from aphids) they might suffer from outdoors is aquilegia sawfly, but they can be sprayed or picked off when they occur.

21 Dec, 2015

It's quite normal for Aquilegias to show some growth at this time of year; it's unlikely that any pests will be active though. So don't worry about them, they will be fine!

21 Dec, 2015

I somewhere that there is a 'new' pest of aquilegia possibly a fungal infection. I just cant remember the details.

22 Dec, 2015

The 'pest' is not an insect it is a virulent form of mildew and it totally destroys the plants.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=866

22 Dec, 2015

Interesting link, thanks Owdboggy, hadn't heard about that one.

22 Dec, 2015

yes that's the one Owdboggy. the RHS magazine had an article about it a couple of months back.

22 Dec, 2015

Thankyou Owdboggy. I didn't know it was a mildew, peronspora, & not related to powdery mildew. I never had any bother with it till 2014 when the flowers were blotchy & distorted. I found all I wanted at the RHS link you gave. It seems there is no cure, only dig up & burn & don't grow any more in the same place. The funny thing is that they seem to recover & only the first flowers were affected, the later ones being ok. I'm going to see what happens this year. Give 'em a chance & dig up & dispose of if really necessary. Thankyou for all your replies.

23 Dec, 2015

Hi Feverfew

I think it was 1st reported in the UK at "Touchwood gardens " National collection Holders not far from me who mainly grow aquilegia and the the garden was closed to visitors this year ....

Gg

23 Dec, 2015

Have had to dig up & dispose of all my Aquilegias as they were all affected this year. Pity, I had some nice colours.